Medicine for Stomach Pain
Using an over-the-counter medication may help you feel better if your stomach pain is being caused by heartburn, indigestion, or gas. Several medications address various causes of stomach pain:
- Antacids treat burning pain due to heartburn.
- Some fiber supplements or antidiarrheal medicines can treat diarrhea.
- Fiber supplements and laxatives may relieve pain in your lower belly due to constipation.
- Antinausea medicines can help relieve nausea and indigestion.
- Enzyme supplements help you digest lactose or other proteins or carbs that cause gas, bloating, or diarrhea.
Without first consulting your doctor, you shouldn’t take aspirin or other NSAID painkillers for stomach discomfort. If you take them for a long time, they may harm the lining of your stomach and result in gastrointestinal bleeding.
See your doctor or chemist if you are unsure of which over-the-counter medication is best for your stomach ache.